December 24, 2008

Call for renewal: Florida's 1838 constitution

Or should we call for repentance, for how far we've strayed?

Howard Troxler, St. Pete Times, skewers members of the double-dipping, special interest, pay-for-play Florida Legislature:

    One of my favorite Florida fun facts is that our constitution of 1838, written while we were still a U.S. territory, banned three special classes of people from public office:

    Bank officers.

    Duelists.

    "Ministers of the Gospel."

We could learn a lot from those pioneers (including some of my own ancestors who settled here before 1820). Who could look at our current legislature, follow the strings all the way to the bank, the church and the gun lobby -- and think otherwise?

Continue . . .


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just stopped by to wish you happy holidays, Aikane. You're still the cat's meow in my book.

Love ya,
MoMu

Aikäne said...

Hey MoMu, great to hear from you! I lost your email address when my puter crashed a long time ago. If you get back here, email me at aikane47@yahoo.com.