Ask Your Legislator in Congress to Oppose Pombo Extinction Bill
What You Can Do: Please go to Save the Manatee to see how you can make a difference.
From Save the Manatee Club:
Representative Richard Pombo (R-CA) has stated that this week he will introduce a bill that would greatly rewrite the Endangered Species Act. Representative Pombo has long carried the message of developers and is Congress' loudest opponent of endangered species protections. He is also chair of the House Resources Committee.
A hearing on the bill is scheduled for Wednesday, September 21, and a committee vote on Thursday, September 22. Please act now!
The Endangered Species Act is the most important federal wildlife law that protects manatees and other endangered and threatened species of animals and plants. Rep. Pombo has not yet released the full legislative language, but according to the summary, the bill would:
* completely repeal protections for endangered species' critical habitat.
* remove protections for species listed as "threatened" under the law.
* allow political appointees -- such as Secretary of the Interior Gale Norton -- instead of scientists to determine what constitutes the best available science.
* exempt federal agencies from the requirement to consult with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service on actions that might impact endangered species.
* bankrupt the endangered species program by forcing the Fish and Wildlife Service to pay developers to comply with the law.